Sunday, January 3, 2010

Question # 2 Bath time

How do you get your child out of the bathtub when bath time is over? I used to just tell my daughter the bath was done and it was time to get out and I would reach down and scoop her up and get her out no problem. But now when the bath is done I tell her I am letting out the water and when it is gone she will need to get out and even when the tub is empty she does not want to get out. She just wants to lay in the empty cold tub. I can reach down and get her myself but that always leads to crying and I would like to have her get out on her own when the bath is done. The only thing I have found that is working right now is that I tell her that I will count to 5 and when I get to 5 I will start closing the shower curtain and she needs to get out. But the only reason why I think this is working is that it scares her and I don't want her to listen to me out of fear but I am not sure what else to do. Any good ideas out there?

5 comments:

  1. My girls get to be in the bath a LONG time--LOL!! So normally when it is time for them to get out--the water is so cold they have no complaints. But...I also have them jump out of the tub (with help from me) and then I wrap them in their towel and throw them up so it is FUN for them. Love this new blog idea. I don't have the best advice, but at least I share what I do, and if it works for someone else great. Can't wait to think of some questions to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on the visual of your DD laying in an empty bathtub. So cutie!!

    My DD is 20 months too and baby obsessed now so if she resists something we do it to baby first and say we need her help with baby first then it's lily's turn. Works for everything like getting dressed, diaper changes, etc when she's resistant.

    Also we give her choices like when getting dressed "do u want to put on your pants or shirt first?" Makes her feel more in control of her environment. You could ask her if she wants to use pink or brown towel to dry off. If she doesn't choose within 5-10 seconds, then u choose. I read the book "love and logic-early years" and helped me greatly. Hth:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I am qualified, but let her stay in the tub without water for a bit. If she was freezing, she would let you know.
    Also, you could give her choices that always involve what you want. "When you get out of the bath do you want the blue towel of the pink one?
    "When you climb out do you want to be a slithery snake into the towel or a big grizzly bear?"
    Then she will have to choose something that always involves getting out of the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use a timer. The timer is the boss. Whatever it is (playtime, bathtime, tv time)....when the timer goes off the activity is done. She doesn't argue with the timer and she doesn't get mad at me. Works like a charm. My DD is 28 months, FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using a timer. Actually tonight at bath time I told her that when the water was gone she would need to get out and that mommy would count to 5 and then the curtain would close. She fliped the switch to let the water out and said the curtain would close and actually stood up and was ready to get out on her own before I even started counting. AMAZING. I need to remember to use choices more too though.

    ReplyDelete

Anything that you would like to say?