Monday, January 4, 2010

Something to think about for 2010

This came from a quote by President Dieter Uchtdorf (of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints). He said a wise man or in this case woman could distinguish between the noble art of getting things done and the nobler are of leaving things undone. (Julie B. Beck, “Relief Society: A Sacred Work,” Ensign, Nov 2009, 110–14) That hit me like a ton of bricks because I am always racing around trying to get so many things done and sometimes even while I am doing them I am thinking "why am I doing this?" when maybe I should be looking at things a little more carefully and choosing what really needs to get done and what can be left unfinished. Case in point- I was trying to make a set of felt food for a niece for Christmas and it started out really well and I wanted to do a good job because I didn't feel like an okay set of felt food would be appreciated but I didn't have all the materials I needed and it was taking more time than I wanted and every time I went in my craft room before Christmas I saw the pile of unfinished felt food and it bugged me and I felt an obligation to finish but didn't want to. Finally after reading this quote I decided I would abandon the project, buy a gift that came with in the allotted gift budget and give what I had already completed to my daughter. A huge weight was lifted from my shoulders, Allie (my daughter) loves the foods and the problem was solved. I resolve this year to leave more unnecessary things undone. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. I agree!! I will realize when certain things are taking too much family time and decide it isn't worth it :) I will try that this year.

    ReplyDelete

Anything that you would like to say?