Wednesday, January 6, 2010

TV time


I always said that I would never let my children watch tv. I even have it written down in a book-you know one of those lists you make before you get married and have kids of all the stuff that is "super important" to you in a marriage and family like marrying a man that doesn't watch sports or that doesn't burp or fart. You know the kind of list I am talking about? Well anyway I didn't want my kids to watch tv, but I am just going to be honest (because that is what this blog is about), that tv is a dang good babysitter and I can get in a shower or get dinner made, laundry folded, or a phone conversation in during Elmo's World and it's a life saver. I don't park my daughter in front of the tv, nor is it on all day. She watches it for a half hour here, a half hour there and maybe a total of 3 hours in the day. She would love to watch it all day and once again I will be honest, somedays I am tempted just to let her. I also don't let her watch any old cartoon that is on. We watch Dora, Elmo's World, Winnie the Pooh and Micket Mouse at our house and while plenty of people have plenty of negative things to say about tv for kids, I can tell that she is learning things while she is watching. This morning while I was changing her diaper she said, "count with me, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10." just as clear as day and while we have been counting numbers for a long time I have never taught her this. I read in a Parenting magazine a comment that went something like, "maybe less blame should be placed on TV and more on parents." I have to agree with that in a lot of ways.
So my question is oo you let your kids watch tv? What are your limits on tv time? How do you decide how much is okay? Do you have limits? Do you think they are necessary?

5 comments:

  1. I'll be completely honest, our TV is on from the time we get up to the time we go to bed. That being said, we are not parked in front of the TV the entire day. It provides some noise in the background mostly and yes, I think limits have to be set. We have certain times that favorite shows come on that allow me to do what needs to be done in a 22 minute period. We only watch Nick Jr., formerly Noggin and the Playhouse Disney morning programming that has shows like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Blue's Clues and others like these. It gives me time to do the dishes, prepare meals and do laundry. If I had a maid or a helper, I would totally do nothing but play and interact with my kids from dawn to dusk. But the reality is that I need to keep the house clean, laundry caught up and meals made, etc. At least with this type of programming I know I can leave the room for a moment and I don't have to worry about a violent scene, terrible language or things I don't want my babies to learn at such a tender age. I think it also teaches them that Mommy has other responsibilities as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am sure that I will win the bad mother of the year award, but my kids watch TV alot. Now, they don't just sit there and watch all day. The TV will be on and sometimes they are watching and then other times they are running all over the place playing. We are big fans of Noggin or Nick Jr now. Cooper has learned so much from Dora, Mickey, Little Bear, Wubzzy, and Yo Gabba Gabba. We all have to do what we have to do to get through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We actually don't have TV in our house. Well...we have TV just not cable or local channels. Anyways my point. My kids watch movies. It is not on very often but....my hubby has a thing with watching something while we eat. My biggest pet peeve. I don't know why I don't put my foot down and stop this. I don't want the girls getting used to this. So...my thing on TV is in moderation and now while you eat :) Lunch maybe, but dinner for sure is a NO (that should be family time) which my goal for the new year. Learn from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely let my kids watch tv...sometimes it is more than I should allow depending on the day and how I am feeling since being pregnant they probably watch too much somedays but it is what gets me through the day. I do the Disney channel, Nick Jr. and Sprout and feel that it doesn't hinder my kids and they actually learn from it. Both my kids have started using words in Spanish from Dora and Diego which I love to hear.
    Don't get me wrong there are days when they watch maybe 0 tv and those days I feel like I won a huge battle but in order to shower and get things done for myself...without having major issues I use cartoons to help babysit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another thought on TV. I think that TV veiwing is something that has to change as your kids grow older- with more restrictions and more guidelines. And as my girls get older there are so many more things for them to do that I would hope to have them more involved in other things and less involved in TV but while they are young and it is a choice between hanging on my leg or watching Elmo and letting mommy have a minute of peace, I am choosing Elmo. ANd I agree, no TV during meals. I always turn off anything noisy during meals-tv and music.

    ReplyDelete

Anything that you would like to say?